I made one big resolution for 2018.
This is the year I get rid of all single use plastic from my small business. It's the year I ensure my raw materials are ethically sourced, recycled and/or sustainable - hurrah!
The year is already flying by (how *does* time do that?!) so let's see what I've achieved so far:
Recycling & Sustainability
- My greetings cards (and every single other bit of card or paper I print on) is approved by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), an international organisation dedicated to promoting responsible management of the world's forests.
- All my envelopes are made of 100% recycled Kraft paper.
- To protect mugs and larger orders I either use recycled biodegradable packaging, or bubble wrap saved for me by friends and family from their own deliveries.
Bye Bye Plastic
- I've ditched the little plastic cello bags my pins are sold in, as I realised these were needlessly contributing to plastic waste (duh) - My pins now arrive naked!
- I've also ditched the plastic wraps my cards arrived in, and when my cards are sold to shops then will arrive in bags made from 100% biodegradable corn starch (check me out!).
- My Pin Party subscription boxes are plastic free and filled with biodegradable paper confetti.
The Buddy System
- I make a lot of my products by hand in my studio. Did you know each mug is hand pressed by me?
But for some products I need a little help (my screen printed tote bags for example).
- When working with others I do my best to choose other small UK businesses who share my values, and who are super friendly, cause I'm a little bit shy.
Ok, so the big question, what next?
Well, I am still getting the through the large stock pile of metallic pink bubble wrap envelopes that I panic-bought for the Christmas rush. I use these to post pins and button badges, but I'm currently researching biodegradable alternatives that offer the same protection, any suggestions would be so helpful.
Please let me know your thoughts on my plastic purge, are you cutting down on the plastic in your life?